Home   |  Contact  |  Dallas County
HR Home
Dallas County Home
"Ban–the–Box" Policy
Contact Us
County Holidays
County Pay Days
DART Pass Program
Sheriff and Constable Deputy Exam Announcements
Deputy Exam Results
Sheriff Promotional Exam Announcement
Promotional Exam Results
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Employee Discounts
Employee Leave
Employee Self Service
Grievance Process
HR Forms
HR Policies and Procedures
Job Descriptions
New Employee Orientation
One Stop HR Center
Payroll Direct Deposit Form
Retirement Benefits
Salary Schedules
Title VI Policy
Whistleblower Notification
W4 Form
What’s New

Filing a Civil Service Grievance Appeal

Who can file a formal civil service grievance?

  • Any category “C” or “D” regular, full-time civil service employee may process an employment grievance.
  • Any category “C” or “D” probationary civil service employee may file a grievance except for those related to his/her performance rating or dismissal.

On what grounds can I file a grievance?

You may file a grievance in one or more categories as identified in Section 86-1003(a). Click here to download the form.

  • Termination, Demotion, Suspension, or Decrease in Pay.

On what grounds can I file an Application for Discretionary Review?

You may file an Application for Discretionary Review in one or more categories as identified in Section 86-1003(b). Click here to download the form.

  • Improper application of rules, regulations and procedures;
  • Unfair treatment, including retaliation;
  • Discrimination because of race, religion, color, creed, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation;
  • Improper application of fringe benefits or improper working conditions;

When filing an Application for Discretionary Review, an applicant MUST provide:

  • Files an application in accordance with the deadlines in Sec 86-1004(a);
  • Certifies that the matter has provided through the chain of command and it was not resolved administratively by the department and attaches any written determination of the department’s actions;
  • Attaches a completed grievance form;
  • Sets forth, in specific detail, how he/she has been actually harmed in a tangible way, i.e., suffered some actual damages(s). (“Actual damage” means a loss of injury that has actually occurred.); and
  • Seeks an appropriate remedy within the Civil Service Commission authority.

How do I file a formal grievance?

  • Grievances must be filed in writing, preferably using the Formal Grievance Form, within seven (7) calendar days from the event, and/or from the date of notification of disciplinary action (exclusive of holidays), unless this is beyond the control of the employee.
  • Termination and disciplinary action grievances should be filed initially with the first level of supervision above the employee’s supervisor who caused the action, with a copy to the county Human Resources/Civil Service department.
  • All other grievances should be initially filed with the employee’s immediate supervisor.

Downloadable Form and Procedure Policy: