Press Release

Dallas County Clerk

Frequently Asked Questions - Trust - 22nd Floor

Renaissance Tower - 1201 Elm Street, 21st and 22nd Floor, Dallas, TX 75270
Phone: (214) 653-7099 • Fax: (214) 653-7176
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (except for Court Approved Holidays)

Q. What does the Trust Department do?
A. Trust acts as the custodian for funds in the Registry of the Court on behalf of a minor, incapacitated adult or Condemnation defendant.  The cases may be Civil (i.e. accident/injury lawsuit, land condemnation for public use etc.) OR Probate (an inheritance from a death).


Q. Do deposits in the registry of courts earn interest?
A. As of September 1, 2009 Trust deposits are automatically invested in order to earn interest IF a valid Tax identification Number is provided and the Court has ordered the funds placed in the Registry.

Q. How are funds invested?
A. The Department strictly follows statutory guidelines for investing Registry of the Court funds. The Trust Department selects the financial institutions and investments that meet statutory requirements of protecting the principal, liquidity, maturity, diversity, and yield of the funds.

Q. What are the requirements to get funds out of the Court Registry once the minor has turned 18?
A. 30 days prior to the 18th birthday, you should receive a letter from the Trust Division requesting a copy of the beneficiary’s Birth Certificate, Social Security Card and Government issued picture ID (Driver's License, State ID, passport, military, etc). Included will be an Affidavit for Withdrawal of Funds which must be signed and notarized ON or AFTER the 18th birthdate and returned to us via fax, mail or hand delivery. (If you have not received this form 2 weeks before your 18th birthday, please contact our office to confirm your current address and phone number).

Allow 5-10 business days after receipt of all required documents for us to process a check. The investing institution must release the funds to the County Clerk before a check can be disbursed to you. To pick up your check from the County Treasurer's Office you MUST know your check number and present a Government issued ID.

Q. How do we know how much inerest is earned on an invested account?
A. In January of every year, form 1099INT showing the previous year interest earnings is mailed to each account holder.  If you should have received a 1099 INT, and you have not received one by the end of February, please contact the Trust Department.

Q. What are the fees charged on registry fund deposits and disbursements?
A. Section 117 of the Local Government Code permits the County Clerk to deduct administrative fees of 10% of the interest earned on funds that have been invested with a financial institution. These fees will be deducted when the final disbursement is made.