This 111-acre wooded preserve lies along a winding segment of the Trinity River in the southeastern portion of Dallas. The river in this area has numerous serpentine bends, and over the years, it has undercut its chalk banks and has created a small-scale canyon.
Visitors may find the preserve best-suited for hiking, nature study, fishing, and informal picnicking.
The preserve is also located just across Elam Creek from the Trinity River Audubon Center. This Center, which contains 120 acres, offers educational programs, on-hands exhibits, and five miles of trail.
The remains of a lock and dam that were part of a never-completed 1890 Trinity River navigation system can be seen from this property.
The Sallie Haynes, a river boat, made several trips along this stretch of the river before it became obvious that the river was not friendly to paddle-wheel boats.
1880s outlaws Belle Starr and the Daltons camped at a spring that is located on property adjacent to the preserve.