For Dallas County Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Information, please click the links below:
COVID-19 Main Site    |    COVID-19 Vaccine & Registration Information / Información de Registro y Vacunas COVID-19    |    Cares Act Funding
Emergency Housing Assistance Program - 2021 (EHAP-2021)    |    Reopenings and Operational Updates

Frequently Asked Questions - Criminal

Frequently Asked Questions - Criminal

Frank Crowley Courts Building - 133 North Riverfront Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Room A-1, Dallas, TX 75207
Phone: (214) 653-7099
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (except for Court Approved Holidays)

Q. What are your hours of operation?
A. Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

Q. How do I determine if someone is in jail?
A. Click here for the Dallas County Jail Lookup.

Q. How do I obtain a criminal background check?
A. Misdemeanor background searches are performed at:

Dallas County Clerks Office
133 N. Riverfront Boulevard, Room A1
Dallas, TX 75207

There is a $5.00 fee for a record search.

To obtain a misdemeanor background search by mail, send a letter of request including the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Cashier check or money order payable to
    Dallas County Clerk
    133 N. Riverfront Blvd., LB-43
    Dallas, TX 75207
    ATTN: Record Search
  • Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope

For a Felony background search, please contact the District Clerk Records Department at (214)653-5969.

Q. How do I obtain copies of a misdemeanor case?
A. Requests for copies from residents within a 1 hour and 30 minute radius must be requested and picked up in person. All other requestors can mail or fax their request in to the following:

Criminal Division
133 N. Riverfront Blvd., LB 43
Dallas, TX 75207
ATTN: Certified Copies

Fax number: (214)653-5778

Q. How do I file for an Expunction?
A. File your completed petition for expunction with the Criminal Division of the District Clerk's office. You may file your petition in person or by mail. The filing fee is $292.00 and is due upon the time of filing.

Q. What is the jurisdiction of the County Courts?
A. County Courts has concurrent jurisdiction with the District Courts in civil cases regardless of the amount in controversy.

Q. How do I file for a Non-disclosure?
A. File your completed petition for non-disclosure with the Clerk's office of the court in which your case was filed and heard in.

Q. How do I get back the money I paid for a cash bond in a misdemeanor case?
A. Once the case is disposed, the payor may submit the original cash bond receipt to the County Clerk Office on the 2nd floor of the Frank Crowley Courts Building. All refunds are mailed, payable to the person listed as payor on the receipt. The person listed as payor on the receipt must be present to change the mailing address or apply the cash bond to fines and court costs. Any Bond posted after 09-01-2015, Pursuant to Chapter 117, Subchapter C, Sec. 117.055 of TX Local Govt. Code, an admin. fee of 5% not to exceed $50.00 will be deducted at the time of refund. Please call 214-653-5742, for additional information.

**If the cash bond receipt has been misplaced, a copy of the receipt can be purchased for $2.00, from the Fiscal Management office in the Sheriff’s Department, which is located on the 1st floor of the Frank Crowley Courts Building.

Q. What is the cost of an occupational driver’s license?
A. The cost of an occupational driver's license due to a conviction or an automatic license suspension is $267.00.

Q. How to successfully file an occupational drivers license?
A. Click here to view the occupational drivers license procedures.

Q. What court do I need to be in today?
A. If this is your first appearance, there is a bulletin board located on the 2nd Floor of the Frank Crowley Building. If your name is found on the bulletin board, you will proceed to the designated court. If your name is not on the bulletin board, report to the County Clerk's office on the 2nd floor, Room A1.