Criminal (Felony) Court Section

Frequently Asked Question's

Frank Crowley Courts Building - 133 N. Riverfront Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Dallas, Texas 75207
Telephone: (214) 712-3088

How do I determine if someone is in jail?

The Dallas County Sheriff Office operates the Lew Sterrett Justice Center and the other county jail facilities. Please click on the badge to link to the Dallas County Jail Inmate information system.
Sheriff's Badge

How do I obtain a criminal history check?

Criminal history information including both Dallas County and the State of Texas is available from the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), please visit the TDPS Criminal History Search page by clicking on the seal to the right. Fees for this service may apply.
Department of Public Safety Seal

How do I look up criminal history information just for Dallas County?

Please visit the District Clerk’s Online Records portal by clicking on the seal to the right. Criminal history information and the criminal court’s case records are separate. Select the “Courts Case Information” link if you want to look at the charge, disposition and case history. Please be aware that case information or records subject to a non-disclosure order are not available to the public.
District Clerk Seal

How do I obtain a “certification” of my criminal history record in Dallas County?

We can provide you with a Felony Criminal Certification that many licensing agencies and employers will accept. Please email your request to the District Clerk’s criminal records section at The certification covers only Felony criminal matters. For misdemeanors, please visit the Dallas County Clerk’s website for contact information:  Dallas County Clerk's Office.

How do I file for an Expunction or Non-Disclosure?

Please see the Expunction and Non-Disclosure page for more information.

How do I get back the money I paid for a cash bond in a felony case?

Once the court has finally disposed a case, the individual whose name appears on the cash bond (not necessarily the defendant) must submit a copy of the cash bond receipt to the District Clerk cashier on the 2nd floor of the Frank Crowley Courts building between the hours of 8am and 4pm. This may be done in person or by mail. There is a minimum turn-around time two weeks before you receive a refund check. If you have any questions, please contact the cash bond refund desk during regular business hours at 214-653-5962.

What is the current balance on my unpaid court costs and fees?

The district clerk’s office does not provide an online inquiry for outstanding court costs or fees at this time. Please visit the Collections page for collections and payment information and contact numbers.

What forms of payment do you accept?

The District Clerk accepts cash, checks drawn on a North Texas bank or credit union made payable to “Felicia Pitre, Dallas County District Clerk”, Western Union, VISA and MasterCard. You may pay collections costs and fees online by visiting the Collections page for instructions.

If you are filing a petition for expunction, non-disclosure or occupational drivers license, you may pay filing costs when you file electronically through eFile Texas. 

Am I allowed to contact the Judge in my case?

The short answer is “no.” Judges are not permitted to have what are called “ex parte” communication with a party to a case without the other party present unless specifically permitted by law. If you write a letter to the judge, know that it is not confidential and that as a general rule the Judge must share it with the prosecutor so that he or she may respond to what you have written. You should always discuss with your attorney before you attempt to contact a judge or court staff.

My loved one is a defendant in a felony case. Should I contact the district attorney’s office for assistance in resolving the case?

No. The district attorney’s office does not provide legal assistance to defendants. Every defendant in a criminal case is entitled to representation by a competent attorney regardless of his or her ability to pay. You should direct all questions and comments about your loved one’s case to his or her defense attorney.

I am a victim of a crime. Can I call the district attorney’s office to obtain information on the status of the case?

Yes. Please visit the District Attorney's website for contact information: You will generally contact the Assistant District Attorney assigned to the court that is hearing the case.

My spouse or loved one has become violent. Can I file for a protective order at the District Clerk’s office?

The District Clerk strongly encourages you report any violent act or threats of violence to your local law enforcement agency.

If you are not a lawyer, you are encouraged to contact the District Attorney’s Family Violence Division at this link for information. The District Attorney can file a protective order on your behalf without a fee. You may file for a protective order yourself on the second floor of the Frank Crowley Courts Building, 133 N. Riverfront, between the hours of 8AM and 4PM at the service window. However, the clerk’s office cannot assist you with filling out forms or filing your petition, and cannot provide you with legal information.

The City of Dallas Police Department provides detailed information on how a protective order may help keep you, your children and your loved ones safe. Please visit the Dallas Police Department at this link.