Motor Vehicle

We urge our customers to take advantage of processing their Motor Vehicle Transactions and Property Tax Payments online at this website.

Motor Vehicle FAQs

Downtown Administration
Records Building – 500 Elm Street, Suite 3300, Dallas, TX 75202
Telephone: (214) 653-7811 • Fax: (214) 653-7888
Se Habla Español

Where can I renew my vehicle registration?

How can I complete Dealer Transactions?

By Mail:

  • Transactions can be mailed to: 
    Dallas County Tax Office
    Attn: Operations 
    500 Elm Street
    Suite 1200 
    Dallas, TX 75202 


  • As of 6/24/20, and until further notice, transactions may be dropped off at all seven of our branch locations, Monday-Friday, from 9:30 am to 10:00 am. Additional information on this process is included on the attached Cover Form which must be included with each drop-off packet.

Permit Renewal:

What is the mailing address for Dallas County vehicle renewals?

Dallas County Tax Assessor/Collector
PO Box 139033
Dallas, TX 75313-9033
Attn: Mail Registration

What is the mailing address for title transfers for Dallas County Vehicles?

Dallas County Tax Office
500 Elm Street, Suite 1200
Dallas, TX 75202
Attn: Special Operations

I lost my current renewal sticker; what should I do?

Complete form VTR-60 and visit one of our tax office locations with $6.50 to obtain a replacement sticker, or mail the completed form VTR-60 with $6.50 and a copy of your ID to:

Dallas County Tax Assessor/Collector
PO Box 139033
Dallas, TX 75313-9033
Attn: Mail Registration

I don’t have my renewal notice; how can I register my vehicle?

Provide your license plate or vehicle identification number. Call 214-653-7811 or email for detailed information specific to your vehicle record.

How do I register a vehicle for someone else?

You will need:

  • A written statement of authorization referencing the vehicle, authorized person, and whether a ticket for expired registration has been received.
  • The titled owner’s driver’s license.
  • Proof of current liability insurance meeting Texas coverage requirements ($30,000-$60,000-$25,000).
  • Cash, cashier’s check, check or money order for the registration fee.

Call 214-653-7811 during business hours or email, for additional information.

Am I still required to get new plates every seven years?

No, plates are no longer mandatory to be changed every seven years.

How do I get disabled license plates or placards?

To obtain permanent placards, your doctor must complete form VTR-214 (Application for Disabled Plates/Placards). The doctor can either notarize the form or provide a written prescription that indicates that the disability is permanent. The application, along with the prescription, if applicable, and a copy of your ID can be mailed to Dallas County Tax Office, 500 Elm Street, Suite 1200, Dallas, TX 75202, or visit the nearest tax office location. A permanent placard is issued for a time period of four (4) years and there is no fee.

To obtain a temporary placard, the same paperwork is required as the permanent placard, except the prescription will state the disability is temporary in nature. Temporary placards are issued for a period of six (6) months and are $5.00 per placard.

For disabled license plates, the same paperwork is required as permanent placards, along with the information of the vehicle that the disabled plates will be assigned to.

If you have any questions, email us at, or call 214-653-7811.

What are the state insurance liability requirements?

  • The state requires personal liability insurance in the amounts of 30,000 and,
  • 60,000 for bodily injury and
  • 25,000 for property damage.

How do I get insurance on a vehicle that is not in my name?

Contact your insurance agent.

Why do I need car insurance to transfer a car title?

It is Texas State Law that the buyer must have liability insurance. If your title is transferred within 30 days of purchase, you may use the existing insurance. If transferred after 30 days, the new car should be reflected on the insurance.

Who do I make my check, cashier's check or money order payable to?

John R. Ames, CTA, Tax Assessor/Collector

What types of payment methods are accepted?

In person at any of our convenient locations:

  • Cash
  • Cashier’s Check
  • Check from a US bank (also cannot be a temporary check)
  • Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express, Credit/Debit Cards (JPMorgan convenience fees apply; $2.95 for debit (minimum $2.95) and 2.15% for credit (minimum of $2.95)
  • Money Order

By Mail:

  • Check from a US bank (also cannot be a temporary check)
  • Cashier’s Check
  • Money Order


  • Discover, MasterCard, Visa through TxDMV

A $30.00 fee will be assessed on returned items (NSF, Stop Payment, and Closed Account).

How do I transfer my special or personalized license plates to a new vehicle?

Visit one of our Tax office locations for this exchange. Bring your identification, insurance or registration receipt of the vehicle that you want your new plates to be assigned to. If you have any questions, contact us at

What are the fees to transfer a motor vehicle title?

When you apply for a vehicle title, you must pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25% of the purchase price. If buying a used vehicle from a private party, 80% of the standard presumptive value or 6.25% of the purchase price (whichever is greater) will determine the motor vehicle sales tax due at the time of titling.

You will also be charged a title transfer, registration and local fees. For more information about specific vehicle title transfers and fees, email us at or call Customer Care Center at 214-653-7811.

I can’t find my title. How do I apply for another?

If a title is misplaced, you can apply for a certified copy by mail, or in person at your nearest Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Regional Office.

I moved to Texas from another state. How do I get Texas Title and Registration?

New residents need an original vehicle inspection report, proof of liability insurance that meets Texas requirements 30/60/25, lien information (if applicable), odometer reading (if it is less than 10 years old), out-of-state title or proof of registration (acceptable proof is your last registration receipt), completed form VTR 130-U, along with registration fee, title application fee and new resident tax. For detailed information regarding fees or other questions, please email or call us at 214-653-7811 during business hours.

How do I transfer a vehicle title that belonged to someone now deceased?

If the deceased left a will and the will was probated, you’ll need certified copies of the Will and Muniment of Title or Letters of Testamentary from the Probate Court. The person appointed as executor will sign the back of the title and the Application for Title form VTR 130-U. If there was no will or a will was not probated, an Affidavit of Heirship form VTR-262, must be signed by all heirs and notarized.

For additional information, email or call us at 214-653-7811 during business hours.

I paid off my vehicle loan. How do I remove the lien and get a new title?

You will need:

  • The original Texas Certificate of Title, or a certified copy of the original which reflects the lien release on the front of the title (or separate document from lienholder releasing lien)
  • Form VTR 130-U (Application for Texas Certificate of Title)
  • $33.00 title fee
  • Mail or bring documents to one of our Tax Office locations.

Does a title have to be notarized?

A: No, it does not require notarization.