In observance of Juneteenth, Dallas County offices will be closed on Wednesday, June 19th.

Disability Compensation / Pension / Aid and Attendance Allowance

Disability Compensation / Pension / Aid and Attendance Allowance

Office Location: 2377 N. Stemmons Freeway, Suite 631, Dallas, TX 75207-2710
Phone: (972) 692-4939  Fax: (214) 819-2880
Office Hours: 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., Monday - Friday
Closed weekends and on County holidays

Disability Compensation

Disability compensation is a monthly tax-free benefit paid to Veterans who are at least 10% disabled because of injuries or diseases that were incurred in or aggravated during active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training. A disability can apply to physical conditions, such as a chronic knee condition, as well as a mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).


The benefit amount is graduated according to the degree of the Veteran's disability on a scale from 0 percent to 100 percent (in increments of 10 percent). Compensation may also be paid for disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses.

If you have dependents, an additional allowance may be added if your combined disability is rated 30% or greater. Your compensation may be offset if you receive military retirement pay, disability severance pay, or separation incentive payments.


  • Service in the Uniformed Services on active duty, OR
  • Active duty for training, OR
  • Inactive duty training, AND
  • You were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • You are at least 10% disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred in or aggravated during active duty or active duty for training, or inactive duty training

Note: If you were on inactive duty for training, the disability must have resulted from injury, heart attack, or stroke.

Evidence Required

  • Medical evidence of a current physical or mental disability, AND
  • Evidence of a relationship between your disability and an injury, disease, or event in military service. Medical records or medical opinions are required to establish this relationship.

Note: Under certain circumstances, VA may conclude that certain current disabilities were caused by service, even if there is no specific evidence proving this in your particular claim.

Applying for Disability Compensation

  • Supporting documentation required:
    • Copies of all medical treatment records relation to the condition being claimed
      • Doctor's office visit records, hospital records, statements from physicians, and copies of any service medical records.
    • A certified copy of all discharge documents (DD-214's);
    • Copies of all marriage licenses for the current and all previous spouses;
    • Copies of divorce decrees and/or death certificates from previous spouses;
    • Copies of divorce decrees and/or death certificates for all of your current spouse's previous marriages;
    • Social Security numbers for your spouse and all eligible dependent children;
  • Additional documents may be necessary depending on the individual situation.

Veteran Pension Benefit

The Veterans Pension program provides monthly payments to wartime Veterans who meet certain age or disability requirements, and who have income and net worth within certain limits.


  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • Your yearly family income and net worth meet certain limits set by Congress. Your net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings), minus any debt you owe. Your net worth includes the net worth of your spouse.
    Find out about Veterans Pension rates

And at least one of these must be true about your service. You:

  • Started on active duty before September 8, 1980, and you served at least 90 days on active duty with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • Started on active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions) with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • Were an officer and started on active duty after October 16, 1981, and you hadn’t previously served on active duty for at least 24 months

And at least one of these must be true. You:

  • Are at least 65 years old, or
  • Have a permanent and total disability, or
  • Are a patient in a nursing home for long-term care because of a disability, or
  • Are getting Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income

Aid & Attendance (A&A) /Housebound

Veterans who are eligible for VA Compensation and/or Pension, and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly compensation or pension benefits.  


This increased monthly benefit amount may be added to your monthly compensation or pension when you are substantially confined to your immediate premises because of permanent disability

Applying for Compensation or Pension / Aid and Attendance

 A statement from the Veteran’s physician must be submitted which provides the medical history, diagnosis, prognosis, and the degree of disabling effect of the medical condition.

    • A form is available from the County Veterans Service Office to serve this purpose.
  • Supporting documentation includes:
    • A certified copy of the Veteran’s discharge from active duty;
    • If the Veteran is in a nursing home, assisted living facility, or receiving in-home-care; a statement attesting to the rate of charges and the amount paid by the Veteran must be submitted. A form for this purpose is available from the County Veterans Service Office.

military service seals - new order - DOD site
youtube      fb.png

We strongly advise applicants to consult with the County Veterans Services Office prior to submitting all documents to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Assistance is available to all who are shut-in and require help in completing applications and acquiring supporting documents. This may help to reduce delays in receiving benefits or preventing the denial of benefits.